Dead Ends: Episode 3

(This is a lengthy story based on actual facts. Episodes will be posted over a span of a few weeks. There are going to be NINE episodes in total. For Episode 2 click here. Enjoy!)

Episode 3

It’s the wedding day. Maheen is sitting in her room, in her gorgeous rust colored lainga. The top has no back only straps, which bind it together. She is arranging her hair.
When she is done, she stands up, examines herself one more time in the full length mirror. She is more than satisfied with the reflection.
She strolls towards Eemaan’s room, knocks on the door and enters.
Eemaan is sitting on her bed. Maheen sucks her breath in at the sight of her. She is adorned in a traditional blood red sharara. Precious stones are embroidered on her dress in intricate flowery patterns.
“You look absolutely beautiful.” Says, a gawking, Maheen.
“Are you sure I look ok? Because I think the man who did my make up over did my eyes. And I don’t think my lipsticks color matches my dress. And the dress, do you think it’s ok? And this jewelry! I told mom I didn’t want to wear these ancient things! But she says I have to and…”.
“Shush you… you are just nervous. Every guy in your wedding is going to envy Aamir!”
“Yeah but you’ll over-shadow me!! You look gorgeous Maheen.”
Eemaan’s mom comes in the room. For a minute she just stands a few feet away, watching both of them. Her eyes are moist. She comes near them and hugs them both at the same time.
“Eemaan, don’t you cry and ruin your make up ok? Maheen, can you please take Eemaan downstairs? The limo is here.”
“Of course Auntie! Don’t worry about Eemaan; I’ll take care of her.”

The wedding venue looks like it’s been taken right out of fairy tales. The whole garden of a five star hotel is decorated in cream and red. Flowers adorn every nook and corner. The sun sets as Maheen accompanies Eemaan to the bride’s room inside the hotel. People have started to arrive.
Eemaan’s mom and dad enter the bride’s room followed by her uncle and her father’s best friend. The maulvi also enters the room.
“Are you ready sweetheart?” Eemaan’s dad asks.
“Yes papa.”
“Who are the witnesses?” The maulvi inquires as the Nikah ceremony begins.
Eemaan’s uncle and her father’s best friend step forward.

A few minutes later the Nikah is over and there’s a murmur of congratulations in the room, hugs, tears and nervous laughter.

The sun has set and the garden is brilliantly lit; people roam about in expensive clothes, women flaunt their jewels and men flirt with women.
Aamir and Eemaan, now officially married, enter the garden. Eemaan’s hand rests on Aamir’s arm. Every head turns towards them. Eemaan tightens her grip on his arm.
“Don’t be scared sweetheart! You look like an angel…”
They start walking towards the stage. There are congratulations thrown their way and flattering whispers engulf the garden. Maheen stands in the crowd. She smiles and wipes a tear with her finger.

It has been two days after the wedding. And these two days were crammed with parties after parties. The newlyweds planned to leave for their honeymoon the next day to various exotic places.
Maheen is busy getting her boarding pass and boarding her luggage. Aamir and Eemaan are standing in a corner waiting for her.
“I’ll really miss her Aamir.” His wife confides in him.
“Yeah, you two really get along together. And she is loads of fun.”
“We have to visit her in Pakistan!”
“Of course.”
Maheen walks towards them.
“Well… they are telling me that boarding has already started… so… I guess this is goodbye.”
Maheen hugs Aamir and then Eemaan. She hangs on to her.
“These two weeks were the most enjoyable weeks of my life… emotional too… You better take care of her Aamir!” Maheen warns him playfully.
“With a person like you around, I better do as you say!”
She laughs and waves them goodbye as she walks away.

*                          *                        *


Bahadur is under a car working, as Majid walks into the workshop. He takes his tools out and starts repairing the axle of the same car. He doesn’t realize that its actually Bahadur thats under there.
“Hey! Majid is that you?”
Majid lowers his head to the ground and stiffens when he sees who it is. He doesn’t make any reply and continues his work.
Bahadur completes the task and crawls out, squatting next to Majid.
“What’s wrong?”
“Nothing. I’m just… uh sleepy.”
“Yeah, something is in the air today. I’m sleepy too. Anyways, Abba told me this morning that he might get a raise. All our troubles will be over! Well… Not exactly over but still… Won’t that be great?!”
“I guess.”
“Are you angry-?”
“Hey you!” Jamal Bhai yells at Bahadur, “get to work chotay! I ain’t paying you for chit chat!”

Bahadur and Majid walk home that night. Majid seems to be in a hurry and keeps a little ahead of Bahadur. Every time Bahadur catches up to him, Majid breaks in to a run.
“What’s up with you? You have been avoiding me all day like I have got the plague!” Bahadur complains.
Majid starts running as fast as he can. Bahadur looks at him shocked and annoyed. He chases him and jumps on him. Both the boys fall down and start fighting. They roll and punch. Majid punches Bahadur squarely on the jaw. Bahadur lands his knee forcefully in Majid’s stomach. Majid being bigger in size finally gets control over Bahadur and twists his arm behind his back.
“Why are you fighting me?”
“Why are you running away from me?” Bahadur retorts.

Both of them are panting. Majid lets go of Bahadur’s arm. Bahadur’s lip is cut and blood drips down his chin. He searches Majid’s face with his eyes. Majid’s face is contorted with emotion.
“What’s wrong?! Tell me! Did I do something wrong?” Asks Bahadur angrily.
“No. You didn’t do anything wrong.”
“What is the matter Majid?”
“I can’t tell you… I can’t… I just can’t!” A tear rolls down his cheeks.
“Why can’t you tell me? Is anyone threatening you?”
“No one’s threatening me.”
“I’m confused Majid! Why are you crying? Please. Tell me. May be I can help you.”
“No one can help me… or… or you.”
“What do you mean? Am I in some kind of trouble?”
“Bahadur… I don’t know if… if I should be the one to tell you this. But… but, Bahadur, I uh, I heard our father’s talking about you today… in the morning.”
“And? What did they say?”
“They said… they said that some things are not in control of people… some things are just Allah’s will… even though they are unfair. Bahadur your Abba was crying. He said that he can’t bear the fact that you, his only son, is a…”
“I’m a what, Majid?”
Tears are pouring from Majid’s eyes.
“He said that you are a… Hijra.”
“A what?”
“Bahadur! A hijra! You are a Hijra!” Majid shouts, shaking him by the shoulders.
Majid breaks down, he gets up from the filthy roadside and walks away quitely. Leaving Bahadur where they had fought. Bahadur’s face is a mask.

(Stay tuned for Episode 4 next week)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SAUDI ARABIA RESIDENT VISA PROCEDURE FROM PAKISTAN

Get your Totems fixed, its time for a reality check.

Just that.